In October of 1955, four couples from Calvary Baptist Church of Lealman felt led of the Lord to start a church. Their desire was to plant the church in the Clearview area. Reverend Harris Bragan and the Community Baptist Church agreed to sponsor the endeavor by furnishing basic supplies and arranging preachers to fill the pulpit. In November of 1955, 22 people met at Lealman Junior High School for the first meeting of what would come to be known as Clearview Baptist Church.
As Clearview grew in number, the need for a new meeting place and for a full time pastor became apparent. In January of 1956, the old Clearview Methodist Church building was purchased as our new meeting place, and a unanimous vote was given to call Reverend Howard Thompson as pastor. In March of 1956, pastor Thompson became the first pastor of Clearview Baptist Church.
On July 4, 1956, Clearview joined the Pinellas Baptist Association. In August of 1957, ground breaking took place for two of now 5 the existing facilities. The sanctuary building then, seating up to 275 people, is now the building where the church offices and chapel are. Construction on the buildings, what are now the chapel/offices and the fellowship hall, began in September and November of 1957, respectively. On Easter Sunday, in 1958, the congregation moved into the new facilities with almost 250 in attendance. In 1959, two education buildings were built on the west side of the property.
In August of 1969, the final of our five facilities was erected. What is now our present sanctuary.
At that time the church membership was close to 650. Ten years later the first pastor of Clearview Baptist Church would resign, giving way for Reverend Ernie Habecker to succeed him as the second pastor, in April of 1979. Pastor Habecker led the church to reach and exceed Sunday School enrollment of 300 to almost 350 in the following three years.
Including our present pastor, Clearview has had 8 senior pastors over the last 60 years, countless associate pastors, interim ministers, evangelists, deacons, trustees, directors, and guest speakers. God’s hand has, is and will always direct the affairs of Clearview Baptist Church.